Skip to main content

Made4Math: Student Awards

So this is my last week of freedom before our professional development days next week.  I am only 17 days away from meeting my new students.  And here I am, still blogging about last year.  Better late than never?

On the last day of school, I surprised my students with some snacks.  We finished our review, and had about 15 minutes in each class to relax and chit-chat.  (I remind students that it is important to take breaks while studying.  Of course, that would mean that they would have to study in the first place.)

The best part of each class that day was when I handed out awards.  (I did this at the beginning of class.)  I gave out approximately 8 awards each class.  I explained that I felt they deserved these awards because they are mostly praised for their academic achievements, and there are more important things in life and other wonderful things they do well. For students that had perfect homework, I created a printable wrapper for King Size Hershey chocolate bars.  (The full label reads: Congratulations on achieving perfect homework in geometry for the 2013-2014 school year.)
 

For each student that earned an award, I had a mechanical pencil (which they know is something of great value because I tell them all year how they should switch to mechanical pencils).  I added a tag to each pencil.  (You can find the tags here.)  I also gave them a snack size Hersey bar (the kind you can buy in an 8 pack.) 

Each student received a certificate of their award.  Depending on the class and the students I handed out awards for excellent attendance, perfect attendance, exemplary conduct, most improved, "ray of sunshine" (for the students that made many days extra special), and one special student received a "storyteller" award.  I printed the awards on sturdy white cardstock and signed them all.  The students really appreciated their awards, and I was delighted to hear about how they hung their awards up at home.  After two periods of handing out awards, I had students from my later classes running in to ask if they were getting an award later.  This is one of those things you always hear about elementary teachers doing, and think older students won't appreciate, but it's definitely worth trying.

I've attached the file of the award templates I used.  You could even change the award title and description to create your own awards.  I used three different fonts that I downloaded from Kimberly Geswein.  (I cannot visit her website without downloading a few new fonts).  The fonts I used are Be Still and Know, Dark Side, and Lego House.  You can download the file here.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geometry Interactive Notebook - The Second Unit

My second unit is the Essentials of Geometry.  This unit encompasses the topics that are to start Common Core Geometry (constructions, definitions, lines and angles), but in an order that makes sense to me.  Everything is a little more integrated than how I am supposed to do it next year for Common Core.

My second unit starts on page 9 with a pocket.  (I love pocket pages!  They are great for the less organized students, and the students that did not opt for a binder for their homework.)  Pages 11 through 13 are vocabulary foldables.  I love how compact they are.  You can easily fit 10 to a page when you have to (and for 30 vocabulary words, I had to).
My table of contents page (10) and the first of my three vocabulary pages (11).

Page 14 is for naming lines and angles.  I made up a table for lines, segments, rays, and the two ways we name angles.  I have students identifying what we say, what we write, and what we see.  Students will then add the symbol notation to the first pag…

2014-2015 Geometry INB Unit 3 (Lines & Angles)

Here is unit 3...

The table of contents and unit self-assessment.

We started with naming lines and angles.  I prepared a page for fill-in notes for all the vocabulary we had, and a chart about naming the lines, angles, etc. in a We See-We Write-We Say format.  Follow the links to download a copy of the notes and the chart.

Then we did all of the basic point/lines/planes postulates as fill-in notes and practice with the segment and angle addition postulates.  You can download the notes here.

The left hand page is a continuation from the postulates notes, and then for Angle Pair Relationships I gave more fill-in notes.  (They are so helpful when there would otherwise be a ton of writing involved.)  The notes can be downloaded here.

This page is a continuation from the Angle Pair Relationship notes. 

Next we learned about parallel lines.

Here is the inside of the foldable.  I had students highlight the angles whose relationship was indicated.  You can download the foldable here.

Then fo…

2014-2015 Geometry INB Unit 6 (Triangle Properties)

Here is unit 6...
I've attached links to all downloads underneath their photos.

The pocket page and table of contents.

The unit self-assessment and interior angle theorem.  The previous year I made this page a simple activity to discover the triangle sum theorem.  I skipped that this year because my students already knew that the angles sum is 180 degrees.  Instead, I included a proof for the triangle sum theorem.
Triangle Sum Theorem & Exterior Angle Theorem Notes
However, I should have re-done the activity for the exterior angle theorem.  Students struggled with it for the rest of the year.  Not that they had trouble applying it, but they had trouble identifying when they could apply it.  The next day we did isosceles and equilateral triangles.  I purchased the isosceles and equilateral triangles from Lisa Davenport on TPT.  Then we did the proof of the base angles theorem.

Here is the inside of the foldable.

Next we learned about triangle inequalities and midsegments.  It w…