Tuesday, August 23, 2016

2015-2016 Geometry INB Unit 3 (Congruent Triangles) [#MTBoSBlaugust]

It's #MTBoSBlaugust 2016!  I'm challenging myself to blog daily throughout August, and you can too.  Join the fun!
See last year's INB pages from this unit here.

I was happier with how the proofs unit went this year compared to previous years.  We spent many days working on activities in groups.  I had more students than usual that were great at completing proofs.  I still had the usual majority that were completely lost no matter what I did.  I'm ready to try again this year.

Here is the table of contents for the unit:

We started with the basic proof properties.  The properties are located on the very first page of the notebook.

We spent two days completing basic algebra equations, and justifying our steps using the two-column proof set-up.

After the algebraic proofs, we extended proofs to lines and angles, but still using algebra.

We did this for two days.  On this day, I tried to practice writing the statements and reasons that would start these types of proofs.  (Top left corner.  Students completed this section as a Do Now, and we went over it.)  It failed miserably.  I will be tweaking this one for this next year because I like the original intent.


Then we tried to make the jump to line and angle proofs.  Enough said, right?  *sigh*  But yay for me figuring out how to save space in the notebook by making little booklets.


Finally, we were ready for some congruent triangle proofs.  But first, we reviewed the basics.  I adapted the page for marking diagrams from materials that misscalcul8 posted some time ago.  I made the interpreting givens cheat sheet, and had a few errors to fix.  (If you notice any others, please let me know.)  I'm considering turning this page into a poster.  Literally 90% of the questions students asked me about proofs was answered by being directed to his page of the notebook.


Here is the actual proofs page:  (Yay for another booklet!)


Lastly, we did our CPCTC proofs.  I would like to make this into a booklet for next year.  This year I only had this proof in the notebook, which is crazy because this ends up being super important.  Fun Fact:  Three years ago, a student made up the saying "Country People Cut The Corn" to remember CPCTC.  I have been using it ever since.  This year a student came up "Concentrated People Come To Conclusions".  This will be our new saying to remember CPCTC.  It's so perfect because that is basically what proofs what are all about.  I have to make a poster.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!

Thank you for being patient as I got my new blog set up.  I am slowly releasing updated versions of old posts while I add new content.  Plea...