Thursday, August 11, 2016

Self-Assessment [#MTBoSBlaugust]

I have been reading "Mathematical Mindsets" this summer, and I am currently reading the chapter on assessments.  The first thing that is recommended is using self-assessments with students.  I was so excited about this because I already do this.  I'm doing something right!  I incorporate a self-assessment into each unit of my Interactive Notebook.  I have students do the assessment twice - before the unit and at the end of the unit.  As I write this, I am considering having students do the self-assessment repeatedly throughout the unit.

For each topic, I list the objectives of the topic.  I write each one out as an "I can" statement.  There are two columns for the self-assessment.  There's a "pre" column and a "post" column.  Students rate themselves on a scale of 1 - 4, 1 being "I need to learn this" and 4 being "I could teach this".
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwkPgPi2-TJKQlZfekhKSmNIbFE

I check the self-assessments before the unit test.  If students are rating themselves as a 1 or 2 on any topic, I remind them to come in for help so they can be successful on the test.

The second type of self-assessment I use is called a "self-quiz".  I use these for anything that needs to be memorized.  For example, as we begin to review for the Regents we begin to do these self-quizzes to memorize the formulas that are not given on the exam.  I give students the quiz.  Depending on the content, it may or may not be timed.  I have students hold on to their quizzes, and then we go over the answers together.  I emphasize with students that anything they had wrong they either need to study or come in to get help, and anything they had right they already know.  The funny thing is students start to get flustered because it's a quiz, they completely skip over the part that says "self".  Once they get used to having self-quizzes, they are fine and understand it's just to see what they remember.  Students usually end up seeing self-quizzes as a valuable tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!

Thank you for being patient as I got my new blog set up.  I am slowly releasing updated versions of old posts while I add new content.  Plea...