Sunday, May 7, 2017

May 7, 2017 - Montly Post #DITL

The following post is a contribution to the Day in the Life Book Project initiated by Tina Cardone:

Today is Sunday.  When I signed on for the project, I assumed that any weekend post I did was going to be boring and void of any interesting school-related activity.  Luckily today landed on one of my favorite school traditions...

I woke up many times this morning.  Throughout the week I had a sore throat in the middle of the day, and it just went away.  I dismissed it as being allergies.  By Friday afternoon it was a full-blown cold.  Last night into this morning I wasn't able to  sleep.  I couldn't breathe.  I couldn't get comfortable.

My husband works on Sundays, so when he got up at 6, I got up.  Normally I would get ready for the gym, but since I can't breathe just staying still, cardio was out for the day.  I put on my usual gym clothes and went grocery shopping after eating breakfast.  I came home, unpacked the groceries, and made myself some tea.  After my tea, I got in the shower.  I took my time getting ready this morning, and put more care than usual into doing my hair and makeup.

Today we had my school's 66th annual Community Scholarship Lunch.  We honored 10 deserving seniors with scholarships.  Sick or not, I was determined not to miss this.  I look forward to the event every year.  We meet at a local banquet hall, and have a delicious buffet lunch.  After lunch each senior speaks about how thankful they are to receive the scholarship and what it means to them.  This year we had some especially heartfelt speeches.  We learned about how our students felt supported by their families and teachers, how much they admire their parents for the overcoming the obstacles they faced including immigration, and how they've overcome their own obstacles including being born with a health defect.  One student even took the time to thank me for being there for her from the beginning.  The ceremony is beautiful and very touching.

I put all of my energy into being fully present for the lunch and enjoying every moment of it (because it's becoming all too real that my beloved seniors will be graduating soon).  The lunch ran from noon to 2 pm.  Once I came home I put my pajamas back on, ran a load of laundry, and collapsed into bed. I decided to stay in bed for the rest of the night so I could get as much rest as possible before Monday (because I'm so far behind in my Regents course that I cannot afford to take a sick day).  Unfortunately, this meant that I didn't get any work done for school, and I will have more work ahead for me this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teacher Time Investments

Vlogging is great and all, but I want to do more.  I started finding a focus for my weekly vlogs when possible last week.  This week's f...