Tuesday, August 11, 2015

2014-2015 Geometry INB Unit 2 (Coordinate Geometry)

Here is Unit 2...

The pocket page that begins each unit was included in my last post.  Here is the table of contents and self-assessment.

We started by reviewing writing linear equations.  My students need A TON of practice with rewriting equations by solving for y. 

Then we moved on to analyzing slopes of parallel & perpendicular lines.  (The left hand page is from the previous day's notes.)

Then we learned how to find equations of parallel and perpendicular lines.

We did equations of perpendicular bisectors.  This is where we learn the midpoint formula.  Although truthfully, I much prefer to tell students that we add the x's and divide by 2, and then add the y's and divide by 2.  It's so much easier than having them memorize another formula.  I try to relate it to finding the mean of two numbers.  I think for next year I want to include a graphical representation of the perpendicular bisectors.  (I could also at that time have them discover that points on the perpendicular bisector are equidistant from the endpoints of the segment.)

Here is the inside of the midpoint foldable.

We did linear quadratics.  For the last time. 

Then we did distance formula!  Next year I need to do a better job of using the distance formula to find the perimeter of polygons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!

Thank you for being patient as I got my new blog set up.  I am slowly releasing updated versions of old posts while I add new content.  Plea...