Saturday, August 13, 2016

2015-2016 Geometry INB Unit 1 (Lines & Angles) [#MTBoSBlaugust]

It's #MTBoSBlaugust 2016!  I'm challenging myself to blog daily throughout August, and you can too.  Join the fun!

See last year's INB pages from this unit here.

Most of my unit 1 pages stayed the same.  You can see the table of contents for this unit below.


One thing I changed was my parallel lines pages.  Last year I had a foldable for the four types of angles, and that did not seem to work very well.  (This page did not work so well either.  I will be redesigning this page again for the new year.)  I liked the examples, but want to do something with diagrams that don't all look the same.  I really enjoy the first example where I give students a set of parallel lines and one angle, and they have to find the measures of the other 7 angles and justify how they found the measure.  I would like to have the actual diagram included in the notes though.

The pages I added were for constructing squares and regular hexagons inscribed in circles.  I like these pages as they are, but I want to change the directions for next year.  Firstly, we use flat compasses, so the directions are confusing in relation to those type of compasses.  Also, my students this year discovered alternate methods to construct the hexagons that will reduce errors.  The QR codes link to the constructions on the Math Open Reference site.  (Side note:  Students don't use QR codes!  How crazy is that?  I feel like a QR scanner is one of those things every one needs on their phones.)

1 comment:

  1. Cool idea to add in the QR codes! Now I'm thinking of all the things I could add a QR code to!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!

Thank you for being patient as I got my new blog set up.  I am slowly releasing updated versions of old posts while I add new content.  Plea...