Wednesday, August 19, 2015

#WhyImGratefulForMTBoS

I've been in a funk all summer long.  I know that it's because of the rough year I had.  I had more job stress than normal because of pressure that was placed on me at the very beginning of the year, I had two different state tests to prepare my Geometry students for,  I was co-advising the senior class (which meant that I was preparing and chaperoning their class trip to VA), I was weepy all year about my seniors leaving because I absolutely adore that class, my husband was working 7 days a week for most of the year, and I lost two family members that had been sick for a period of time.  I was mentally, emotionally, and physically drained.

On the other hand, four out of my five classes were amazing.  The class dynamics were awesome, and the kids were just awesome as individuals.  I had one student in particular that would always pick up on my bad days and make sure I knew that I was still making a difference.  I really wish I had been a better teacher for these students this past year because it's what they deserved.

Once summer began I wanted to do as little as absolutely possible.  And I did.  This was a mistake.  One of the things I wanted to accomplish this summer was scrapbooking, and after becoming so sloth-like, I didn't even want to scrapbook.  Eventually I started blogging again, and it helped me to focus on the things that I need to accomplish this summer.   This helped a little.

What helped the most was when the people who write the blogs I follow started posting more and more posts about getting the new year started.  As much as I didn't even want to think about the next school year, I knew I had to, and the people that make up the MTBoS motivated me to do it.

Yesterday started the official countdowns.  Yesterday was one week until I have to return to school for aligning curricula to common core with my department.  Yesterday was two weeks until we begin our staff development days.  Today marks three weeks until the first day of school.

So I'm just posting to thank the people that make up the MTBoS for pulling me out of the funk I'd gotten myself into.  You're all helping me to be a better teacher for next year, and helping me to find the excitement I normally feel for this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!

Thank you for being patient as I got my new blog set up.  I am slowly releasing updated versions of old posts while I add new content.  Plea...