Thursday, August 25, 2016

2015-2016 Geometry INB Unit 5 (Polygons) [#MTBoSBlaugust]

It's #MTBoSBlaugust 2016!  I'm challenging myself to blog daily throughout August, and you can too.  Join the fun!
See last year's INB pages from this unit here.

Here is the table of contents:


I went to a conference in December, and decided to try this anticipation-reaction guide for parallelograms.  Students respond to the given statement before the lesson indicate whether they agree with the statement, and then after the lesson they reflect on their previous answer and their learning.  (Were they right, were they wrong, what did they learn, etc.)  The second half gives them a diagram of the parallelogram and asks them what they know/think to be true about the sides and angles, and then compare their answers with a partner.  This didn't go so well because it was new to my students.  I would like to try these more consistently next year.

Our parallelograms notes otherwise stayed the same, and I added in this partner activity.  The directions were projected on the board for students to either do the odd or even numbers, and then share and EXPLAIN their answers with their partner.  Their partner's job was to check their work.  Again, this is something I learned from the conference and would need to implement consistently for it go smoothly.  (I'm so glad I'm doing this reflection piece now to remind what to do differently for next year.)  These problems were adapted from a workbook I have.

I changed up my special parallelograms notes because my students were not fans of flaps and foldables.

Then I scoured the Internet to find some special parallelograms practice.  (The special parallelograms get no love.)  I finally found a packet of some sort and adapted some of the questions for a day of practice.

Then there were parallelogram proofs.  As booklets!







Then I concluded the notes for the unit by giving students an open-ended prompt to create a graphic organizer of their choice to summarize the properties of quadrilaterals.  Below is the example from my notebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!

Thank you for being patient as I got my new blog set up.  I am slowly releasing updated versions of old posts while I add new content.  Plea...