Sunday, August 28, 2016

2015-2016 Geometry INB Unit 8 (Measurement) [#MTBoS Blaugust]

It's #MTBoSBlaugust 2016!  I'm challenging myself to blog daily throughout August, and you can too.  Join the fun!
See last year's INB pages from this unit here.

This unit was completely overhauled from last year.  Last year, the majority of the notes were handwritten.  This year I made it more like my other notes.  Here is the table of contents:

I gave students two formula sheets.  The first is the Common Core exam formula sheet.  Since NYS gives students the same formula sheet for all three exams, I had students highlight the formulas that we use for Geometry.   The second formula sheet is something I adapted from a formula sheet I found somewhere online.  (It was so long ago now, I have no idea where I found it.)  It includes the area and perimeter formulas for 2D shapes.

We spent one day reviewing solving for perimeters and areas of 2D figures.  Students could definitely use more practice with these, but everything is so focused on 3D figures that it is hard to justify the time it would take.

The next day we worked on Solids.  Two big focuses of the Common Core curriculum are rotating 2D figures to create 3D figures (which is strange because it's so simple), and identifying cross-sections of 3D figures.  Since I don't have the skills to create diagrams of rotating figures, I used what I could find, and the diagrams seen on my page are from Math Bits Notebook (a great resource for Common Core Geometry information - it's very student friendly).  We had a fun activity for determining the cross section of solids using Play-Doh.  I previously blogged about this activity here.

We covered Volume of Prisms and Cylinders.  The examples here are from our textbook, and past Regents questions.


The same for Volume of Pyramids and Cones.

And the Volume of Spheres.

We finished the unit by exploring the area and volume of similar figures and solids.  Next year I want to change some of the examples to reflect how the Common Core exam asks about this topic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!

Thank you for being patient as I got my new blog set up.  I am slowly releasing updated versions of old posts while I add new content.  Plea...